The Embassy issues Machine Readable Passports (MRPs) and e-Passports. A Bangladesh Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) is valid for 05 years and there is no provision of renewal of MRP. When an applicant's valid passport expires, becomes damaged, is lost or needs amendment to certain pieces of information (which are allowed), the Embassy can re-issue an MRP, based on appropriate documentation.
Since passports are printed at the Department of Immigration and Passports (DIP) in Dhaka, time of delivery of passports is normally 2-3 months from the date of submission of the application.
As per the regulation of concerned authority of Bangladesh, applicants must be physically present, while submitting the application at the Embassy.
Please note that the Embassy does not have any agent for processing passport applications (and for that matter, visa, travel permit or for any other consular service). The service seekers are advised to get in touch with the Embassy direct for all kinds of service.
Process of application for new and reissue passport:
- Please fill application for new passport online at https://www.passport.gov.bd/. Please select “Portugal” in the “Applying in:” option. Please skip the payment option. Applicant needs to pay at the counter in cash. After submitting the application online, please print it.
- For reissue of passport, please fill passport reissue application form. You can fill the form either online or offline. For filling the form offline, you can get the form at http://www.passport.gov.bd/ or can download it from the “All Forms” tab of this website; Reissue form is also available at the Embassy’s “waiting room.”
- Please submit the printed application form along with the proper supporting documents at the Embassy counter.
- If application is found correct, please pay the non-refundable passport fee at the counter. You can pay only by cash. Fee (including welfare surcharge): Euro 100 (Euro 30 for students with valid ID card).
- After the submission of application along with the fee, your application will be processed and you will be asked attend an enrolment process. It would normally take 2/3 hours to complete the enrolment process after the submission of the application. Thereafter, an enrolment slip (delivery slip) and a money receipt will be provided to you. Please keep the enrolment slip in your possession safely, as you will need to present it, while receiving the new passport.
- Embassy regularly publishes the list of MRPs received from DIP and ready for delivery at the Embassy’s Facebook page and website. Applicants are requested to follow the Embassy’s Facebook page and the website for update.
- An applicant can avail postal services to receive new MRP. Please see below “Postal Service” for more information.
On all working days, i.e., Monday to Friday, except holidays:
Receiving of documents and passports: 9.30 am - 12.30 pm
Delivery of documents and passports: 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Applicant can avail the postal service only to receive the passport. He/she will need to send an envelope with own address written on it, old passport (exception for lost passport case), original delivery slip along with postal fee of Euro 3.00.
For postal service, the following address may be used:
Embassy of Bangladesh
Estr. Forte do Alto Duque LT - 1587, 1400-157 Lisbon